Sunday, November 05, 2006

Shoes of New York



OK, so I am really confused. Because I don't know exactly what it means when I see a shoe hanging on the wire. And I see it pretty often, as all of you living in New York, too I'm sure. So I did a research. Little one. And it turns out it could mean a few things.

In urban areas like NY, it usually means that a drug dealer is nearby. Which makes sense, as just after I took that photo, I saw a young, pretty hip-looking couple trying to buy something from a shady-looking guy on the street. It was Chinatown, and it could have been a Rolex knock-off. But. I doubt it. They walked few blocks together, and I heard the shady guy saying something like "Yeah, I have it on me, right here". Couple looked a little distressed, Mr. Shady was also not very comfortable. It made me think drugs right away. Then I remembered that in the old days Chinatown had real opium-dens, with couches and people smoking like in the movies. They say you could still find one of those places if you knew where to look and knew the right people. I don't. Not that I would like to smoke opium, mind you. Would be just cool to see the seedy side of town.

But a pair of shoes on the wire could also mean that a teenager had just lost his or hers virginity. Apparently, in college towns and campuses all over the States, it is a pretty common demonstration, the equivalent of hanging a white sheet with marks of blood on it in the royal families, after just married couple's first night. It was a sign that she lost her virginity, which also indicated she was pure as gold before getting married.

Or it could also mean, like in one of Tim Burton's movies, that people who live in the area love it so much that they never want to leave, that's why they leave their shoes hanging, as they would not need it any time soon.

Whom to believe?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to confuse you even more - there is one more explanation I've heard of: kids their shoes on the wire like that when they graduate from shool, it's a sort of a rite of passage. :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I too have seen this picture many times....the kids used to do these kind of things...some years back my favorite timberland shoes was hanged up by some kids....

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home